Wednesday, January 25

still sick... bog people

About 2 weekends ago Alex and I went to see the Bog People exhibit at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. It was ok... not as great as all the reviews proclaimed. I always expect too much from museum exhibits. I want a sophisticated exhibit aimed at adults, and instead I always encounter a basic exhibit aimed at a visiting 4th grade class. This is especially true of "natural history" museums. The "evolution of man" exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History (NYC) is particularly disappointing.

On the other hand, art museums tend to focus more on the art connoisseur patron, and if you're not one, you don't really get much out of going to such exhibits. The only visit I ever trully enjoyed to the Met was right before my AP Art History exam, after a year of intensive art history class. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

One thing in particular was interesting and a bit depressing about the Bog People exhibit was seeing the coins they found in the bogs. There were two thousand year-old Roman and Germanic coins, which look very much like the modern coins still in use today. C'mon people! It's been 2k+ years and we still use metal coins as currency! Made me realize we're really not as advanced as we think. Sure we've made progress with checks and credit cards, but coins shouldn't exist anymore, in my opinion... or cash of any form. I hate cash.

In other news, I'm still sick, although I'm getting better. Still got a sore throat, and sleeping still involves a lot of tossing and turning.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree with your assessment of art exhibits. In general, I recognize the fact that I am probably not understanding the underlying meaning of a painting. I do however enjoy looking at nice landscapes, so I don't mind feeling stupid too much. Feel better Avy!