i love to sleep
unfortunately, today is "tree trimming day" so there are guys with loud chainsaws outside my window cutting branches since 8am. Damn them! My first day of not waking up at 5am and I can't even sleep in. I guess I'll have to nap later.
So the craziness of working all the time is finally over! Now I get to stay out here in cali till after Thanksgiving. What will I do with myself? I have work to catch up on but that won't take up too much time. But since Alex and everyone else out here works (sheesh!), my days will be pretty dull and uneventful. I'd like to sleep in, but it's likely that people from work will call me in the morning (afternoon their time). I hope to start going to the gym at our building. There's even a yoga class every Wednesday, and kickboxing on Tuesdays I think.
I wanted to write down a few interesting observations from my train commuting days. Yesterday, I sat across the aisle from 2 middle aged women knitting scarves. There was something weird about that. From time to time they would discuss different stitches and yarn they used for different projects. I wondered if they know each other outside the train-knitting, or if they are kindred souls who found each other during the commute one day and then decided to sit together.
Last week, a woman sitting behind me offered her paper to a man sitting across the aisle from me when she was finished with it. He took it gracefully, flipped through the sections, and picked out the standard male section: sports. I then saw a very interesting thing which led me to conclude that the man was illiterate in English (he was most likely an immigrant). He opened the paper to the middle and just held it up in front of his face. I could see his reflection in my window (because it was so freaking dark out at 5am) and he wasn't looking at the paper at all. He would look up, down, left right, anywhere but the paper. Once, he turned the page and then did the same hiding behind the paper bit. It must be difficult for him in social situations like this one. I hope he takes the time to learn to read, because it's hard to be so isolated from the world around you.
Oh and WOOHOO for the Democrats winning Congress and for Rumsfeld leaving. The next 2 years of politics will be awesome! When is the last time both parties had presidential primaries at the same time? It'll be really really interesting, and historic. Alex and I have decided to not get cable because comcrap doesn't deserve our money, but it'll be tempting to sign up just to watch the news and debates.

No comments:
Post a Comment